Thought it might be useful simply to record the modifications made to the stock WordPress installation for this blog. This will be a work in progress as time goes by.
- Standard installation of v.3.4.2 to 1and1 server with php and MySql db
- Changed background colour, and general look from light to dark
- Changed display width in style.css from max-width 1000px to max-width 80%
- Custom header image of 1000×77
- Reduced header height in style.css; #site-title from 3.65625 to 1.65265 and #site-description from 3.65625 to 1.65625
- Created new page template for “Archives”
- TM Replace Howdy
- WordPress Importer
- Fast Secure Contact Form
- Gallery Plugin by BWS
- Use searchreplacedb2 script to update blog when domain changed
- Created Custom Menu, pulling in categories and tags. To create menu items without a link, just use a “#” in the url box
- Widened the menu spacing, look for #access a in style.css and play with padding
- Tip as used in this post, start an ordered list from a different number: make thel ist then edit the html <ol> to <ol start=9>
- Added Contact page using “fast secure contact form” plugin
- Tip to prevent comments on a specific page or post: Select page/post and click edit, Click on Screen Options and check Discussion, Look at discussion options at bottom of page, uncheck “Allow Comments”
- Added Gallery plugin by BWS for photos and slideshows
- Tried image map on header image from image-maps.com, but this only works with a static width, so will keep looking….
- Reduced padding to menu text (#access a) down to 0.8125 from 1.2125 to allow for more menu entries if needed
- Adjusted the <pre> tag in style.css to put an orange box around code.
- Found a useful site for converting html code to viewable for posting in code tags: Postable