When I first got my new desktop machine a couple of years ago, I was a little wary of Windows 8, so I did a dual install of Windows 7 Pro (OEM) as well. Given Xubuntu is my weapon of choice, I had a triple booting machine in the end. Once I sorted Windows 8 out I never went near my Windows 7 install. With the arrival of Windows 10 a few days ago, and with the offer of a free upgrade from Windows 7, it didn’t make much sense to have two installs of the same OS running directly, I therefore looked into virtualising my Windows 7, to then upgrade it to Windows 10, which I could then access directly from within Xubuntu, should I need it. Continue reading →
Word and LibreOffice can do this as a built-in feature but Sharepoint and Google Drive/Docs can’t. Given that Sharepoint is a nightmare to just use (!) I tackled the problem on Google Drive. What we are seeking to achieve is to have a main or master document that pulls in other documents, correctly formatted to make a full document. This is useful when “writing a book”, or creating a Health and Safety file or Employee Handbook. Once again I can’t take all the credit for a lot of the coding, the initial script to pull in formatted data from other documents is due to Henrique Abreu with additional help from Mogsdad and Serge Insas. Continue reading →
Bought this little ultrabook, an i3 core, for the wife, has W8 on board and a great little machine, except for the fact the wireless kept dropping out every time I/she used it and required significant fiddling to get it working again, only for it to drop out again.
Checking online found many people with the same problem, given that Samsung ultrabook all have the same wireless card, an Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6235.
My router was kicking out DHCP and WPA2-Personal
So how to fix:
Went to the Intel site and download the very latest drivers
In Settings for the card, changed from AES to TKIP encryption
I need to write up the top of this post about Webconverger, but have been busy figuring out all the useful options for it. In simple terms, its a locked down bootable kiosk. Very clever, works on 486 and 686-pae machines. Also here so I can browse this whilst booted into webconverger 😉
This is a dirty hack that tidies things up a bit, depending on how your cli system is set up. I was too lazy to hand configure my wireless card, so I used wicd-curses. However, this doesn’t kick in until I am booted up. So I get the waiting for network delays of @ 1.5 minutes on the plymouth screen. To remove these, I had to edit a file:
and then comment out the two sleep commands related to these messages, and comment out the resultant message about booting with no network. The segment in question should end up looking like this:
# Plymouth errors should not stop the script because we *must* reach
# the end of this script to avoid letting the system spin forever
# waiting on it to start.
$PLYMOUTH message--text="Waiting for network configuration..."||:
# sleep 40
$PLYMOUTH message--text="Waiting up to 60 more seconds for network configuration..."||:
# sleep 59
# $PLYMOUTH message --text="Booting system without full network configuration..." || :
Just remember you have done this if you decide to change your networking approach!
Been wanting to have a go at this for a long time, and finally found some time to sit down and hack my way through it. Everyone else on the web seems to have used X to do this, but encouraged by all the work done on the cli and framebuffer by KMandla I felt this could be done. Now I’ve done all the hard work, I am happy to share it with you!