The array formula is a wonderful thing in Google Sheets, in most cases providing the opportunity to enter just the one formula and have it automatically fill down as new entries appear from elsewhere.
A clever trick though is to create an array within an array, which allows for header rows to be included.
I was presented with a word document last week with a table full of names of staff and dates of their one to one meetings (who uses spreadsheets for managing this sort of thing ;)), ….”Can you make it so that an email gets sent to the supervisors when it is time for them to hold another one to one meeting with their staff?”
“Yes, of course.”
First job was to grab the data and convert it into a manageable list. Ended up with 8 columns: Name, Supervisor, Job Role, Department, Date of Meeting, Completed, Notes/Comments, date for Next Meeting. The notes were to allow for entries of reasons why the meeting could not take place, e.g. maternity leave or long term sick. There was all sorts of rubbish written in the table that wasn’t a date, people who had left and started during the year, which all had to be cleared out. Eventually got a neat set of data to play with. Continue reading
The saga continues on from this and this to find a workable solution to find a value from any column using query. I happened upon another route (see accepted answer), which was to use a spreadsheet function to generate a csv list of columns which could then be applied to the select query. Credits as always to the original poster! I then needed to modify the substitutions to create more of the select query, and found I could build the whole query syntax in two cells then apply these to the query function. I was so chuffed with myself i made up a proper spreadsheet layout with comments and made a video of it for demonstration purposes. Continue reading
May seem like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I was looking for a way to satisfy two things:
- Change sheet tabs and know (script-wise) which tab I had come from and was going to
- Create a dynamic menu for sheet tab selection, so that I could get the user focused on a single tab, as opposed to having them all there along the bottom
I first tackled this the hard coded long winded way, capturing the names of all sheets and writing an individual function for each, then moved on the a pair forwards / backwards functions, using “getSheets()” to provide the sheet array. This then lead me to going all dynamic!
Started searching, and there were a couple of posts about placing parameters into custom menu items, but nothing that really cracked it, until I came upon this post:
where Václav Novotný provides a solution to create a dynamic custom menu, and dynamic scripting for functions to go with it. This was setup for a Google Doc, so I need to rework it a bit for my needs. All credit to Václav Novotný though for the meat on the bones. Continue reading
Came across a problem using query on a table, where I wanted to query all the columns. No easy way to write this into a function if you have 10 + columns, so set about writing a google apps script to handle this. The premise is simple enough, a data table with a list of people’s names in the first column, then a set of columns with colour names assigned to each person:
On the search page a straight forward drop down list of all the colours (using data validation from the datatable range!)
You would think that this should be straight-forward, but it is not.
A table full of data, with many columns, and everything to the right of Column C will have come from a list of items, but this will be different for each row, and i do not know how many columns there may eventually be. Continue reading
Cor blimey, this one was a toughy to get to the bottom of! No amount of googling brought me the solution I needed, however by combining resources from three/four places I finally got there.
Now the filter function in Google Sheets is a lovely thing, but it doesn’t play nicely if you want an array formula, that is a formula that automagically fills down as you add more data to a sheet. So you have to convert over to using vlookup (or other method) to get the result you want. Now on the face of it vlookup will only handle one criteria, but it can be forced, with a fair bit of jiggery pokery to handle multiple criteria, and then work as an array formula.
Here was the problem. Continue reading
Sometimes, we like our spreadsheet to give focus to what is on it. General formatting: colours, borders etc. do help, but even better is to remove all unneeded columns and rows, along with other distractions. For this to work, the top of the last row needs to be visible. Here is a finished example: Continue reading
Google Sheets doesn’t do special characters from the File Menu. Here is a script (must check if there is an Add-on for this! There is but wants an annual subscription!) that provides a few: Continue reading
A little timesaver. Google Sheets doesn’t have a “Special Characters” selector, so if you want to use one you have to open up a Google Doc, copy the character you want, then back to Sheets to use it. This example shows a simple apps script for inserting a checkmark to a cell. We will then look at conditional formatting of the cell/cells. Continue reading