When I first got my new desktop machine a couple of years ago, I was a little wary of Windows 8, so I did a dual install of Windows 7 Pro (OEM) as well. Given Xubuntu is my weapon of choice, I had a triple booting machine in the end. Once I sorted Windows 8 out I never went near my Windows 7 install. With the arrival of Windows 10 a few days ago, and with the offer of a free upgrade from Windows 7, it didn’t make much sense to have two installs of the same OS running directly, I therefore looked into virtualising my Windows 7, to then upgrade it to Windows 10, which I could then access directly from within Xubuntu, should I need it. Continue reading →
You setup a powerpoint presentation on your normal work machine, the encodes you did in mp4 worked just fine in the presentation. Save out to a stick and take it to the machine (an all in one touch screen 65″ with powerpoint viewer only) and all you see is a black screen where your video should be.
Scoured the interweb and tried three different encoding solutions, all of which resulted in a black screen.
I then upgraded the powerpoint viewer on the display machine from 2007 to 2010 (or the latest one I could find on the Microsoft pages). Bingo, the video started working.
Here is the encode I used which worked best, allowing proper full screen video, no black bars, etc.
Bought this little ultrabook, an i3 core, for the wife, has W8 on board and a great little machine, except for the fact the wireless kept dropping out every time I/she used it and required significant fiddling to get it working again, only for it to drop out again.
Checking online found many people with the same problem, given that Samsung ultrabook all have the same wireless card, an Intel Centrino Advanced-n 6235.
My router was kicking out DHCP and WPA2-Personal
So how to fix:
Went to the Intel site and download the very latest drivers
In Settings for the card, changed from AES to TKIP encryption
My work laptop, a stonking power laptop, Dell Precision M6500 was in need of some more space, so I took it upon myself to upgrade the SSD (64GB) and HDD (240GB).
Purchased a Crucial M4 256GB SSD and a Western Digital 750GB HDD for the job.
Already had an ICYBox 2.5in SATA enclosure I could use for data transfer, and my trusty Clonezilla CD!
I ran a device to device transfer with clonezilla, first on the SSD and then on the HDD.
I exchanged the SSD first and booted up, all OK, then installed the new HDD and booted again. All worked fine, no complaints from W7. I had intended to do a fresh install of W7, but as this has all worked OK, I might just leave it for now and come back to that later. The important bit for me was to properly transfer the Dell Recovery partition, which contains all the Dell drivers and goodies to assist with setup.
Transfers took place over USB 2.0, the SSD to @ 20 minutes, the HDD @ 4 hours (it was full!)
With the extra space, I then set about installing Xubuntu 12.04 LTS, this went well, so now I can spend most of my time on linux at work, instead of running windows 🙂
I saw I could upgrade my Asus EB1012U to an SSD and 4GB ram, so dashed out and bought a Crucial M4 128 gb SSD and the required sticks. Hardware installation was straight forward. (Note the EB1012 is not compatible with SSD’s according to Crucial, you need the “U” at the end.)
I then shoved a W7 DVD in the drive and started the install. Had to do a telephone activation due to changes in hardware (or not using an OEM DVD) but that all went well and installation of W7 went sweetly enough. rebooted a couple of times and did the updates, and then resized the W7 partition. I should have done partitioning first as W7 would only shrink down to 60gb which was a pita, I was hoping for 35/40gb. Anyway, can easily use the spare space for some data storage.
Next I booted up with Xubuntu Desktop 12.04, partitioned the rest of the sapce for the install and storage, and left that to run. Grub installed then rebooted and tested that both Xubuntu and W7 would boot up. Fine, no problems.