The array formula is a wonderful thing in Google Sheets, in most cases providing the opportunity to enter just the one formula and have it automatically fill down as new entries appear from elsewhere.
A clever trick though is to create an array within an array, which allows for header rows to be included.
I was presented with a word document last week with a table full of names of staff and dates of their one to one meetings (who uses spreadsheets for managing this sort of thing ;)), ….”Can you make it so that an email gets sent to the supervisors when it is time for them to hold another one to one meeting with their staff?”
“Yes, of course.”
First job was to grab the data and convert it into a manageable list. Ended up with 8 columns: Name, Supervisor, Job Role, Department, Date of Meeting, Completed, Notes/Comments, date for Next Meeting. The notes were to allow for entries of reasons why the meeting could not take place, e.g. maternity leave or long term sick. There was all sorts of rubbish written in the table that wasn’t a date, people who had left and started during the year, which all had to be cleared out. Eventually got a neat set of data to play with. Continue reading
The saga continues on from this and this to find a workable solution to find a value from any column using query. I happened upon another route (see accepted answer), which was to use a spreadsheet function to generate a csv list of columns which could then be applied to the select query. Credits as always to the original poster! I then needed to modify the substitutions to create more of the select query, and found I could build the whole query syntax in two cells then apply these to the query function. I was so chuffed with myself i made up a proper spreadsheet layout with comments and made a video of it for demonstration purposes. Continue reading
May seem like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but I was looking for a way to satisfy two things:
I first tackled this the hard coded long winded way, capturing the names of all sheets and writing an individual function for each, then moved on the a pair forwards / backwards functions, using “getSheets()” to provide the sheet array. This then lead me to going all dynamic!
Started searching, and there were a couple of posts about placing parameters into custom menu items, but nothing that really cracked it, until I came upon this post:
where Václav Novotný provides a solution to create a dynamic custom menu, and dynamic scripting for functions to go with it. This was setup for a Google Doc, so I need to rework it a bit for my needs. All credit to Václav Novotný though for the meat on the bones. Continue reading
Came across a problem using query on a table, where I wanted to query all the columns. No easy way to write this into a function if you have 10 + columns, so set about writing a google apps script to handle this. The premise is simple enough, a data table with a list of people’s names in the first column, then a set of columns with colour names assigned to each person:
On the search page a straight forward drop down list of all the colours (using data validation from the datatable range!)
First bash script coming up, I’ll explain the best I can: I have a set of images that are all square: w=h. I want to create an image of each image with a label on top,using the filename as the label (without the extension), with a white background, ending up with a 200×250 image with the same name as the original but with “-tab” added. IM will by default squeeze the font size so that the text label always fits. Continue reading
Combine the command line utility with the GUI browser and you have all the tools you need in Linux to view,sync and download from your cloud storage provider.
Here is how I set it up for accessing my Google Drive on my Xubuntu machine: Continue reading
The ability to combine a set of images into one image in a variety of ways, essentially replicates the contact sheets of old. Here are a few ways to create a montage. It works best when all the images are the same height and width. IM does not understand page sizes, and will just create a simple image, regardless of the number of images, you can tell IM which images to use though. It also makes sense when testing and creating montages to save the output to a different directory, otherwise your montages will be included in the next iteration! Continue reading